November 15, 2008

Type-Casting

Okay, I am a TV addict and a TV geek. The addict because I can't sit in a room without the TV on. I have it on even when I am not watching it. The geek because I get way too into many of the shows I watch...one may refer to this "getting into" as a mild obsession, but I don't. I know a lot more people who get into shows way more than I do...and you know who you are, for example: KD - OTH.

This idea popped into my head while watching this week's DVRed episode of Grey's Anatomy. Grey's has a new intern: Sadie, a friend from Meredith's past who gives Cristina a run for her BFF status. I have an issue with this character not because of the character, but because of the actress cast to play her. Melissa George, aka Lauren Reed on Alias - the double-agent that was married to Michael Vaughn. She was a bad guy - a very bad guy.

So, now I can't get past the bad guy part. In my head, because she played a character I hated, no matter what Grey's writers want her character to be, I will never be able to like her character. I will have to hate her. I will make her a bad guy - trying to break up Meredith and Derek or Meredith and Cristina, trying to one-up the rest of the interns, whatever she does, I will take it as something bad. This is nothing against Melissa George as a person or as an actress...this is about me and my status as a TV geek.

Had they cast anyone else to play Sadie, I would not think about her this way. She was hardly in the episode, but every time she was there, I assumed bad guy. It's like in old Westerns - white hat means good guy, black hat means bad guy. It's the same for me with actors and actresses. They need to always play good guys or bad guys, but never both. I know it's type-casting, but I don't care. It's like when Robin Williams plays a bad guy or when a soap opera character turns over a new leaf - it just doesn't work for me.

So, if Sadie's supposed to be this bad girl intern, great job with the casting!! If she isn't...good luck with that!

No comments: