June 11, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday, Heather Bunny!!


It's my oldest's 5th birthday. 

Yes, I know:  my oldest is a 5 year old, five pound, big-eared, carrot-munching, cage-living, furry, grey, Holland Lop-Rex mix neutered male rabbit. 

But what you may not know is that I did not know that my cute little baby bunny Heather was a boy until we took "her" to the vet at 7 months old to be spayed and he was neutered instead.  There was no way I could change Heather's name at that point in my head - Heather could probably care less, but does, for the record, respond to that name.  And, Heather is a rabbit - doesn't know or care that Heather is traditionally a name given to girls - since I actually picked the name based on the color - heather grey.  So, Heather is a neutered male rabbit that I usually refer to as "she" - usually only refer to as "he" at the vet.

I am aware that I have personified my pets.  Heather and her brother, Ben, both have people names, receive gifts when I go on vacation (those little personalized bike license plates you find in tourist trap stores or at the airport are tacked around their cages) and have stockings for Christmas.  They have personalities unique to them, they play and exhibit some serious sibling rivalry, and they have attitudes.  They both regularly display intelligence and stubbornness.  I have signed their names to cards and received gifts from them.  Heather and Ben are my pets, but they are also my family.  They are happy to see me when I come home - excited to be fed and receive attention.

People who aren't animal people might think that I'm crazy, but I like to think that this knowledge of my behavior is what keeps me from crossing the line over to the crazy bunny lady...well, that and B requiring me to get his written permission before adopting another bunny or bringing home any pet that doesn't live under water in a tank that I already own!

So, Happy 5th Birthday, Heather Bunny.  Momma loves you!

No comments: